A new year is upon us and with it some new faces, projects and ideas for 2013. Among our new attendees were council member, John Nolte from District 1 and Maria Sipin from A Healthy Design and new LCI Instructor. The meeting was held at the beautiful gallery The LOFT in downtown Pomona where 18 cyclists and residents met and shared their ideas and visions for the year. After learning about each others 2013 biking goals, which included a range of adding more mileage to just learning how to ride, the group broke up into groups of three to brainstorm on ideas of Education, Advocacy and Events/Rides. The following are the groups findings:
- Find funds and grants to buy tools and get tools donated to create pop-up bike repair workshop such as The Bicycle Tree in Orange County
- Start having a presence during Second Saturdays Artwalk in downtown Pomona
- Increase rider education and make safety a #1 priority
- To build a stronger bike network in the region with local city staff and different city departments
- Increase public education for bike safety through Public Service Announcements and other venues
- Create a cohesive, region-wide Bike Week in May for Bike Month
- Mirror Los Angeles’ model on Bike Parking Ordinance and Anti-Harassment ordinances for cyclists in Pomona
- Campaign to increase bike cars for metrolink by participating in @BikeMetrolink twitter
- Increase PVBC/LACBC membership
- Host training rides for LACBC River Ride in June
- Host more events for a bigger and better Bike Month in May
- Host another Bike-In Movie
- More fun rides that include historic tours, fun destinations, night rides and food!
- Increase fundraisers at restaurants and Dale Bro’s Brewery
As you can see there is a lot to work on for 2013 but we are excited to bring all this fun bike love to the Pomona Valley area. Of course, we are a volunteer run organization and always need help to pull off these awesome ideas. So when a volunteer opportunity comes up, sign up! Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information and take an active role. If you missed the meeting but want to share your thoughts, please leave comment.